I love cities. There’s something so intriguing to me about how they evolve to handle the people within it, and the people within it shape and are shaped by it. When I tend to go on holiday it is typically a city break.
Some of my favourite pieces of fictional work create cities that feel real. Whether these are entirely fictional cities or existing ones set in the future. One thing I love about Akira and Ghost in the Shell, particularly the mangas, is that the cities real realized. There are areas, boroughs and a sense of people living (or in some cases, avoiding) these areas. Unlike sometimes where cities are nothing more than landmarks and spaces between them.
Decided to just play around with low poly models and terrain stuff for a bit this afternoon in Unity3D.
Most of what I’ve done in Unity has been 2D based so I thought I’d give it a quick bash. As you can tell, when it came to the terrain stuff I didn’t even bother adding a text. It’s a snow scene, okay? Or maybe clouds…or who knows. Just trying something different.
My very first completed game is now available to purchase!
A year ago I posted on Facebook “Oh screw this. Who wants to set up a studio?” I can’t recall what drove me to that, but the outcome has been good! A lot of people seemed interested and that’s still ticking away, but in the mean time I’ve been working on my own stuff and after some last minute crunch I managed to get Robbing HUD available for today to mark the anniversary.
It was always meant to be just a little project to try out some stuff but hopefully it’s at least fun and entertaining in some capacity. I’ve learnt a lot along the way so that’s all that really matters eh?
Hoping to do a few more little projects (even smaller than this) to try out a few ideas and get to grips on some stuff.
You can find out more about the game and download it from the Robbing HUD page. Price is completely up to you.
If you give the game a chance let me know what you think. Would love to hear any feedback you have.
It’s great to finally have something out though. All those years of playing games and now I made one! That’s kind of weird, but really cool and exciting. Hopefully the start of many more 🙂
Got some feedback on Robbing HUD from two of the people that agreed to test it.
There was some really useful feedback on the balance as that was one area I really wanted to get some feedback on as I was very much just playing to test if things broke when I played it.
There was also useful feedback on the overall difficulty. I always wanted it to be challenging, but seems it might be unfairly challenging. The difficulty apparently ramps up too quickly and the maths quizzes become undoable in the allocated time. In addition to this information wasn’t clear (such as which jobs would earn more/less money).
Now I’m trying to decide where to go with this. I intended the game to be a quick simple project just for the sake of having something out there and I could tidy up a few bits and get it out quickly. I always ended to release it as a set your own price kind of game so I wasn’t too concerned about it being ‘perfect’ (or near), but perhaps I should consider spending a bit more time just tidying up a few bits so at least it plays better.
On the one hand I don’t want to labour too much over what was intended to be a rough quick project, but on the other I don’t want to ignore the possibility of improving things after dedicating a bit more time. Think I may try and do a half-way between those two things, just need to figure out what that half-way would contain.
Just gone through and listed 12 changes I would consider (others are worthwhile, just not in the scope of this project). Seven of them are small changes that will be implemented and now I’m just trying to figure out how much time the other five would take and what exactly they would entail (as they’re not simple “change this to this” kind of things but additions of features or significant changes of existing ones).
Was having a clear out the other day and found this draft design for Robbing HUD I scribbled on the back of an envelope. I think at this point I was considering it as a mobile game hence why the screen is smaller and only focused on one thing at a time.
While working I’ve been musing on ‘microdecisions’. With this current project I’ve tried to really think it out in advance – plan each stage, possible action, script needed etc but of course as you go through you realise something you hadn’t fully considered, or something doesn’t work as planned and all that.
I do like just grabbing a scrap of paper and scribbling it out and resolving it, just a shame not everything is document. I would like a project one day to be fully documented so I can look back at the history and hopefully learn from it. Or I may never want to look at it again!
Trying to get enemy AI working is proving to be a huge headache.
Trying to piece together different states and get them all working is more complicated than I thought it would be! Re-wrote it and that helped a bit, but still having problems with the pathfinding system. If there’s more than one enemy the target point goes off and I can’t figure out why.
Wish Unity had a 2D navmesh system built in. Looked around and tried some assets but not having much look.